Monday, May 10, 2010

Stir-fried lobster in a ginger sauce for Mother's day.




















So here is the story, there's a special of lobsters at Kim Phat ( best asian grocerie store) and my mom bought so many of them and asked me if I could do anything with it. So I decided to try to sauté them like they do in chinese restaurant. So thx to youtube and that old chinese madam, I've learned the basics of it.

So the first that came to my mind was what can I do to make it different. My guess is that usually in restaurants, they just dip the lobster in corn starch, fried them and sauté them. Then I decided to put some flavor in the dip with cayenne pepper for heat, garlic powder because it's so good and salt and pepper. So my twist was to put some flavors on the crisp.

So here's the result:)

I don't have a recipe so I kinda free-styled it.

In a big bowl put some flour, add about a tsp of cayenne pepper, garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper.

Then toss the lobster pieces in the bowl to coat them.

Then fry each pieces, I didn't time how long, but just go with the eyes :)

save the pieces.


Sauté

Get a wok ( cause it's chinese) or a sauté pan and put a couple of spoons of the frying oil

Add a couple of ginger slices and scallion to flavor the oil.

Sautée them till they are brown and remove from the pan or wok.

Then add the lobsters pieces.

Put a shot of sherry wine ( replaced the Shao Xing wine), a shot of oyster sauce, a shot of soy sauce.

Sautée them

Taste and add salt and pepper to season it.

note: To add some more flavors, I could have added a spoon of butter to the oil and after removing the ginger and scallions, I could added some diced green bell pepper and oignons.

Please enjoy lol




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'est très appétissant, moi qui adore le homard. Congrats chef! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall try this! I never knew how they make it so good in some of Chinatown's restaurants...way tastier than any other culinary restaurants. I shall be back when I get some lobsters! Season has passed :(

    ReplyDelete